19.1.1 Overview of Direct SQL Connection
This section provides an overview of key points for using a Shared Database with Direct SQL Connection. For more details, including how to set up a new Shared Database, refer to section 19.2
Connecting to your database:
- Before you can use a Shared Database with Geneious Prime, an SQL database needs to be created and set up on your server. This requires knowledge of creating and administering SQL databases.
- You can connect to your Shared Database from diﬀerent computers or Geneious Prime installations.
- Access to documents is controlled by creating Groups and Roles which specify the permission level for members of the group (for more information on Groups and Roles, refer to section 19.2.2
- When new folders are added on the root folder, by default everybody has access to them. This can be changed by a Database Admin.
- Subfolders will be added to the same group as their parent folder.
- Only Database Admins can create and remove groups and add users to new groups.
- If you want to change the group of a folder, you need to be a Group Admin.
Read only folders:
- If you have VIEW access to a folder, the documents will be read only.
- Read only folders are indicated by a grey padlock on the folder icon.
- If you try to edit a document in a read only folder, you will be asked to select a diﬀerent location to save a copy of the document with your changes.